Sunday, October 16, 2016

Liberal v. Radical (blog post 5)

Liberal approaches focus on additive ways of thinking and gradual shifts but they leave the systems and ways of power in place. While radical approaches believe that something needs to be transformed in order to have real change.
In my high school, there really wasn't any problems regarding LGBTQ people. My high school community was very accepting and I've never heard of anyone being afraid of coming out or anything along the lines of bullying.
Rofes discusses childhood as a place where adults control everything and that children aren't really in control of their lives. He explains one instance in his life where his dad was punishing him by hitting him with his belt. He then states that there are laws against a man abusing another man but there are no social rules or anything for helping him having his dad beat him. Roses main point about childhood was that children are constantly getting oppressed. This is the foundation of LGBTQ children.
In my future, I hope the school that I will be working at will visualize everyone as equals. I hope that people will see that lesbian, bi-sexual, gay, transgender and questioning people are just people. These people are the same as themselves. The students should understand that these feelings are normal and it is okay that they are feeling this way. As an early childhood major, I will be a teacher for the younger grades. Having this said, my students will be curious as to what is going on with other students. I will tell them that it is normal and they should still treat them the same as they would anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment